Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas to one and all!

I do hope that those of you who are fortunate enough to embrace the White Christmas are doing so! I have the sleigh at the ready for after lunch to go for a stroll with the Marquessa. I can only imagine what delights are in store for the rest of the day!

The last week back in the Shire has been rather eventful, even for me! There have been parties nearly every single night; I've had to miss the odd one or two to try and recuperate! But yes, I have seen the Scottish Earl, though we are currently no longer on speaking terms, I have been thoroughly entertained by the delightful Southern gentlemen and ladies, my heart has skipped a beat at the presence of the Duke and I quietly long for the North!

We had a delicious mulled wine evening with the most respected guests in attendance. I believe I was the most embarrassing companion as I had yet to sleep from the previous night's events, (whose events would no doubt horrify if I were to divulge!) and considering it was our first meeting since the Summer I should have let everyone acclimatise to my exuberant personality!

Being back at home has so far met every expectation. I knew who I would be seeing, I was prepared for casual conversations with the Duke and to see the Scottish Earl. Though I am disappointed at how our relationship has soured. It is too difficult to explain. (Or rather too humiliating, as it was an outburst of rejection, something I am not used to!)

But although I adore being back at home, that this is my final year in the North I can only hope to spend as much time possible with my close friends from the county that I have grown to love! I know that scandal has somehow followed me through the heart of this great country, but I am learning, if somewhat slowly, from my mistakes.

I cannot believe that it has nearly been an entire year of correspondence. How self-absorbed I am, and I know I should be ashamed of some of my more deplorable actions but I am happy with who I am. I only wish that this craving for the Duke would subside! He is engaged to a woman far greater than I am and that is exactly what he deserves.

[sig.jpg]

D. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment