Saturday, April 18, 2015

A few hours short of a week have I inhabited Dearne Valley and I have to admit that I have never felt more at home and more comfortable in such a short space of time. I do have a tendency to adapt quickly to new surroundings, as is in my nomadic nature, but no more than a few minutes in my temporary dwelling, did it already begin to feel like home. 


I can imagine it would be a rather acquired taste: it is a far cry from the Shire where I am within walking distance of many friends and family; much more sedate than the busy lifestyle the Duke and I became accustomed to in the northern counties; it is a paradoxical comparison of rural and cosmopolitan next to the Antipodes; but I would say it were most like Bohemia ~ firm family values, with a few traditions I have never before experienced

This life that has been thrust upon me is currently being shared with four older gentlemen, each of whom who has made me most welcome. They vary in age from only a decade more than myself, to half a century older, and their stories are of the utmost compelling romances, trials and tribulations. I consider myself rather lucky (though I know that my situation is considered by many to be rather improper).

The Duke of Albany and I have continued our discussions about the future. He has joined me for the weekend, but still resides in the northern counties. His responsibilities keep him from travelling to Dearne Valley with me, but it is not so far to travel for a few short months. The future is looking rather exciting, the Far East is still calling my name and I eagerly await the moment it is all confirmed. Until then, I intend to keep silent about our future plans.

There isn't much more that I can say other than I am thoroughly enjoying myself. It was wonderful to have a few weeks in the Shire and Brighthelmstone. I don't get to spend enough time with the Ladies of the Shire and knowing that I am to add Brighthelmstone to my mantle during the Summer, means I will have even less time before I can no longer ignore the beckoning of the Far East. 

I look forward to the next few months here and the adventures to come.



D. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment