Sunday, April 12, 2015

Weeks can go by and the monotony of life drags by without so much as a whisper of change, but I write diligently about my life because I intend not to disappoint those who read about my antics. Then more than a fortnight flashes past, and my life forces me to take a hiatus from my writing and then when I can finally sit down and have a moment to reflect, I do not know where to start.

I have travelled many hundreds of miles in the last few weeks, returning to the Shire, to Brighthelmstone, the northern counties and even further north to the aforementioned Dearne Valley.

Who knew that this small country had so much to offer in such a short space of time? I've confirmed my role for the summer at Brighthelmstone, and despite knowing that I have taken on a huge responsibility, I'm looking forward to the challenge. There is nothing like feeling ready for a new lease of life. 

Past the summer however, is still rather blurred. I'm lacking clarity and cannot truthfully say what it is I want to do. Yes, I want to travel, but my options are rather permanent, or fleeting. Nothing in between. The Duke of Albany of course, is having an influence, and though I am exceedingly grateful he has few expectations for me, I sometimes wish he'd try and convince me to stay. I don't want him to ask me, but I'd rather he made the choice more difficult. Though maybe he knows me better than I think... Nothing and no one will stop me from seeing what else the world has to offer.  



So I have left the northern counties for a few months and found solitary refuge in Dearne Valley. It is positively rural in comparison to the more cosmopolitan places I have lived, but there is a primordial sense of belonging here, even though I am considered an outsider.

I am looking forward to the next few months... Who knows what shall occur.


D. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment